Posts Tagged ‘fire’
Wrangler knew the rules: He was not to go up on the new bed. But on September 8, 2015. Wrangler kept breaking the rules. Finnaly, his owner woke up annoyed, only to find that there was some crackling and smoke coming from the attic. Wrangler saved his family’s life. How about that! It’s rare to see a basset in this position. You, go Wrangler.
By the way, the family lost all their possessions in the fire. If you can find it in your heart to contribute to replace some of their possessions, please click on this link:
I hugged Lola in my arms, and I cried and cried. I cried more than I did when I was standing in front of my house watching it burn down.
An electrical short circuit changed Terisa Acevedo’s life. Her house burned down and her dog Lola, a 1-year-old, long haired dachshund, was nowhere to be found. The fire occurred while Acevedo was not home, but the police searched the house with K-9 units and found no sign of her dog.
Acevedo gave up hope in ever finding her dog. She was hoping that Lola escaped and was wandering the neighborhood. However, a month passed by without any signs of her dog. Acevedo resigned herself that her dog had died in the fire.
Nearly a month later, the car alarm of her second car, which she still kept in the burned-out house’s driveway, went off, and Acevedo’s landlord called her to go back and silence it.
When Acevedo was near her old house, she heard some noises coming from the house. Acevedo yelled out Lola’s name, the scratching continued. With the help of friends, Acevedo tore the plywood off the entrance. Lola retreated into the blackened interior, but soon enough, the dog responded to Acevedo’s call. Lola had not injuries; she was just a bit gaunt from lack of proper nutrition. Lola, upon recognizing Acevedo’s voice, ran into her owner’s arm.
“I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw her after all that time,’’ said Acevedo, standing outside the blackened house. “I hugged Lola in my arms, and I cried and cried. I cried more than I did when I was standing in front of my house watching it burn down.’’
Acevedo took Lola to the Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Jamaica Plain. Acevedo’s mother, Tracey Bills, said, “My daughter went through so much hurt after that fire. So when she called me, crying that she had found Lola, it was a happy ending.”
No one knows how Lola managed to survive. Apparently, she found some kind of food to keep herself going. Some believe that she ate cat food that was placed outside the duplex house next door. Lola is an amazing dog. Few, if any, could have done as well as she did.
For further reading on this topic, you may go to these links: